New Rules for Canadian Minors Travelling to Mexico without Their Parents

December 27th, 2012

Update: February 7, 2013

The Mexican government has, once again, changed its rules for minors travelling to Mexico.

For now, only a valid passport is required to enter and leave the country.

However, most airlines require a notarized consent-to-travel letter when a child is travelling without one or both parents.

Effective January 24, 2014, minors travelling to Mexico without their parents must present notarized consent-to-travel letters that are also translated into Spanish, authenticated by the Canadian government, and legalized by the Mexican embassy or consulate.

Will your children be travelling to Mexico without you?

If so, are you aware of the new requirements recently implemented for Canadian children travelling to Mexico without their parents?

To prevent your child from being detained in Mexico, please note the following:

Effective February 16, 2013, a child (under the age of 18) travelling to Mexico – either alone or with a third party of legal age (such as a relative or another adult) – must present a valid passport, as well as a letter signed by both parents (or those with parental authority or guardianship over the minor).

According to the Embassy of Mexico, the text of this letter “must contain the parents’ express authorization for the minor to travel alone or, if applicable, information on the adult who is authorized to be responsible for the minor during the trip. The document must state the purpose and length of the trip and specify the dates of entry and departure, as this will be a requirement for allowing the minor to leave Mexican territory.”

Additionally, if your “consent to travel” letter is issued in Canada, it must also be translated into Spanish and legalized by the Mexican embassy or consulate.

However, before a document can be legalized, it must first be notarized and authenticated.

Sound complicated?

Don’t worry. Red Seal Notary can help.

We are a one-stop shop for your notarization, translation, authentication and legalization needs! We can even draft your letter for you!

For more information about Red Seal Notary’s notarization, translation, authentication and legalization services, please call us at 1-888-922-7325 or send an email to [email protected].

We look forward to serving you!

2 thoughts on “New Rules for Canadian Minors Travelling to Mexico without Their Parents

  1. Trina Glass says:

    How much does it cost and
    how long does it take?

    • Blake McClung says:

      Dear Trina,

      Thank you for your comment and for your interest in our website.

      Our customer service staff will be happy to explain the process and costs to you. Please call our toll free number (888) 922-7325 and our staff can provide a quote for notarization, translation, authentication, and legalization of your consent letter.

      Alternatively, you may also contact your nearest Mexican Consulate for their latest requirements, process and fees.

      I hope this information is of assistance.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Your comment may be subject to editorial review.



Call Now Button