Red Seal Notary: Frequently Asked Questions

May 28th, 2013

Red Seal Notary’s call centre is staffed by a team of highly knowledgeable and friendly Customer Service Representatives ready to take your call.

To assist you in navigating our services, here are some of our most frequently asked questions:

Q. My wife needs her signature notarized on a document, but due to her busy schedule, she is unable to come to your office. Can she sign the document in advance and give it to me to bring to you?

A. No. The person signing the document must sign it in the presence of the notary. If the signee cannot come to one of our offices, a mobile notary may be available to visit the signee at a location convenient for her. For more information, please call us at 1-888-922-7325.

Q. I have been asked to provide someone with an Affidavit. Can you help me write it?

A. Red Seal Notary cannot provide legal advice. However, we can prepare your Affidavit for you if you provide us with all the pertinent information. Online forms are available on our website for a Letter of Invitation, a Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union, and a Statutory Declaration of Marital Status. For more information, please call us at 1-888-922-7325.

Q. I am getting married overseas and I have been asked to have my documents “apostilled.” What does that mean and do you provide this service?

A. In Canada, notarization + authentication + legalization is the equivalent of an apostille. Please see these articles for more information:

Q. Can I use your $5 discount coupon for fingerprinting services or criminal background checks?

A. No. The $5 discount coupon can be used for notary or commissioning services only.

Q. I am coming to your office for a criminal background check. Can I use my health card or social insurance number for identification?

A. No. Health cards and SIN cards cannot be used to prove your identity for criminal background checks. You must bring 2 pieces of ID, one of which must be government-issued and bear your photo. Your second piece of ID does not have to be government-issued.

Acceptable types of government-issued photo ID are:

  • Driver’s License (Canadian or Foreign)
  • Passport (Canadian or Foreign)
  • Canadian Citizenship Card
  • Permanent Resident (PR) Card
  • Certificate of Indian Status
  • International Student Identity Card
  • Firearms Acquisition Certificate (FAC)
  • Canadian National Institute for the Blind (CNIB) ID Card
  • Federal, provincial, or municipal employee identification card
  • Military Family ID Card (MFID)

Acceptable forms of secondary ID are:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Student ID Card
  • Credit Card
  • Employee Card

Q. How do I become a notary public?

A. Every province has its own guidelines and procedures for becoming a notary public. We recommend you contact your provincial government for specific information.

To schedule an appointment with Red Seal Notary, please call 1-888-922-7325 or send an email to [email protected].

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Your comment may be subject to editorial review.



Call Now Button