Completing Your Statutory Declaration Of Common Law Union

April 24th, 2015

If you are in a common law relationship with your partner but are not married, you may need to complete a Statutory Declaration in order to affirm your union to governmental authorities.

Tax and Benefit Eligibility

There are many benefits and preferential tax treatments that are available to cohabitating couples, whether or not they are married. You may be required to submit a Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union in order to be considered eligible.

Immigration Requirements

If you are in a common law relationship and need to apply to Citizenship and Immigration Canada for permanent or temporary residence or sponsorship, you will need to complete and submit a Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union.

What is a Statutory Declaration?

A Statutory Declaration is a document that sets out important facts, is affirmed to be true, and is signed in front of a Notary or Commissioner for Taking Affidavits. This lets the receiving party know that the Declaration was signed by the appropriate party or parties in the presence of an authorized Notary and that the Notary verified the identity of the signatories.

Red Seal Notary can administer your Declaration. Bring your completed, but unsigned form to us, or let us help draft the document for you. Visit our Red Seal Notary webpage to use our online request form. We can also come to you with our Mobile Notary Service. We are just a call or a click away.

Supporting Documentation

Do you need supporting documentation for your Residency or Sponsorship Application? We can help with that too.

Applications often require certified copies of important documents. A certified copy means that a Notary or Commissioner has compared the original document with a photocopy and confirms that they are identical. This may be necessary for identification documents such as a Permanent Resident Card, Record of Landing, Canadian Citizenship Card, Birth Certificate, or Passport.

If your documents are in a language other than English or French, you may also require certified copies of documents that have been translated from their original language.

Let Red Seal Notary help you get your supporting documentation Certified so you can get your successful application completed.
To schedule an appointment, call us at 1-888-922-7325 or use our online appointment request form.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Your comment may be subject to editorial review.



Call Now Button