How do I notarize a foreign document for use in Canada?

May 8th, 2024
International Documents

Are you seeking employment or educational opportunities in Canada and are required to furnish notarized copies of your foreign university transcripts and degree to your prospective employer? Or perhaps you are applying for a pension in Canada, but your birth certificate is from another country.

In such cases, you may worry that you have to go through a complicated procedure of getting your documents notarized in the country where they originated, causing delays and inconvenience. The good news is that in many situations, you can quickly and easily get copies of the documents notarized in Canada.

Understand What You Need

Be sure to check with the organization where you are submitting your documents to find out exactly what they need. If they just need a notarized copy – also called a certified copy – of your original document, then you are set to get this done quickly with a Canadian notary.

However, if you need to get your foreign degree and transcript recognized by educational institutions and employers in Canada, then you need to go through a process of having your educational credentials assessed. You can start this process by contacting the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (see link below).

Get Your Documents Translated if Necessary

If a document is not in English or French, it is common for organizations to request a translation of the document by a certified translator, as well as a notarized copy of the original documents.


To have your notarized copies made of your foreign documents, you must bring the original documents to a notary public. The documents can be in any language. The notary will imprint their seal and signature on the document, and provide a stamp indicating that it is a true copy of the original document. Notaries can also administer the oaths on affidavits of translation sworn by official translators, attesting that they truly and accurately translated the original document.

How Can Red Seal Notary Help?

Red Seal Notary’s team of professional notaries can provide certified true copies / notarized copies of most original documents, even if they are in languages other than English or French. Just bring your original documents in to one of our walk-in locations in the Toronto area, or contact our helpful call center to make an appointment with notaries across Canada.

Please visit our website at www.RedSealNotary.com or contact our helpful call center at 1-888-922-7325 to learn more about our notarization services.

Helpful Link:

Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials
Council of Ministers of Education, Canada (cicic.ca)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Your comment may be subject to editorial review.



Call Now Button