Travelling and Studying In Spain

October 3rd, 2019

Do you dream of travelling or studying in beautiful Spain? To make your trip there as worry-free as possible, be sure to follow all the Spanish government requirements necessary to make your stay a reality.

Do Canadian Citizens Need A Visa To Travel To Spain?

At present, Canadian citizens are permitted to enter and stay in Spain for up to 90 days in a 180 day period without a visa for purposes such as vacations, visiting family or business. Always be sure to check the Spanish embassy or consulate website before travelling to ensure that you know the current requirements that apply to your visit.

Alhambra, Granada, Spain

Alhambra, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and major tourist attraction.

Who Needs A Visa To Travel To Spain?

Citizens of many countries require a travel document called a “Schengen visa” in order to visit Spain and some other countries in the European Union for any short stay of 90 days or less. If you are a Permanent Resident of Canada who is originally from one of the countries on this list, you will require a Schengen visa to travel to Spain. The Government of Canada has an official list of Schengen countries. If you need this visa to travel to Spain, you will need to check the Spanish embassy or consulate website in Canada to determine the current procedures for applying for this visa. The visa that is issued is usually valid in other European Union countries that also require a Schengen visa, so you can visit those countries as well without obtaining additional visas.

As part of your visa application, you will need to prove that you have the financial resources to support yourself while you are travelling. The Spanish Consulate or Embassy may ask you to provide a notarized letter of financial support from your parents, spouse or others as part of the application process.

Do I Need A Visa For Visits To Spain Longer Than 90 Days In Duration?

Citizens of all countries will need a visa for visits to Spain that are longer than 90 days in duration. There are several different types of visas, such as student visas and work visas, and they all have their own application requirements so it is important to check with the Spanish embassy or consulate for current information on how to apply (see helpful links below). As part of your visa application, you may be required to provide certified or notarized copies of some official documents and you may also need to provide a Canadian certified criminal record check. You may also need to have these documents authenticated by the Canadian government.

How Can Red Seal Notary Help?

The knowledgeable notaries at Red Seal Notary are available to notarize your letters of financial support. Please note that the person signing the letter (such as your parent or spouse) must attend in person with government issued photo identification to sign the document in front of the notary. Red Seal Notary can also provide certified or notarized photocopies of any original document. Just bring in the original document and we will make the copies for you. If you need to have any notarized documents authenticated by the Canadian government, contact our call centre to learn how our knowledgeable staff can assist with your authentication and legalization needs. Red Seal Notary is also accredited by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) to provide Canadian certified criminal record checks.

Helpful Links

Spanish Embassy website – for Visa Applicants in Ottawa and Gatineau only

Applicants in Ontario, Western and Northern Canada:

Consulate General of Spain in Toronto: Toronto Consulate Services

Applicants in Québec and Eastern Canada:

Consulate General of Spain in Montreal: Montreal Consulate Services

European Commission: The Schengen Visa

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Your comment may be subject to editorial review.



Call Now Button