Smooth Destination Wedding Planning

October 1st, 2014

Getting married is the first step in creating a new life together. It’s a magical time for any couple. Given the high cost of hosting a wedding at home, more and more couples are choosing an exotic locale to exchange their vows. There are a few more logistical challenges when saying, “I do” in another country, but with some careful planning the paperwork can be squared away long before your special day.

Valid Travel Documents

Every country has its own entry and exit requirements and rules regarding weddings in that country. If you are planning to get married abroad, check with the applicable Embassy or Consulate to make sure you meet all of the requirements in the country you plan to wed. At a minimum, you will require valid travel documents like a passport that doesn’t expire for at least six months beyond your expected date of return. The latter isn’t a requirement for every country, but it is common enough that you should consider renewing your soon-to-be expired passport anyway.

You will also need to check the Visa entry requirements for your destination wedding and ensure that you, your prospective spouse, and every member of your wedding party understand what is necessary for their trip. Border officials won’t make an exception to entry requirements for your special day. Your arrival will be smoother if you have information on your departing flight and details on the hotel at your destination readily accessible upon request.

Marital Status Statutory Declaration

It’s important to make sure you have all of the required paperwork for the country in which your wedding is taking place. Again, this will vary by country, but most will require a Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage Abroad in addition to your proof of citizenship and travel information. This Certificate confirms that you are free and clear to wed overseas. To get this Certificate you need an Affidavit or Statutory Declaration of your Marital Status. If you have been married previously and are divorced, some countries will require a copy of the divorce decree. In the event that your previous spouse is deceased, a copy of the death certificate may be necessary. Canada does not have Certificates of Non-Impediment to Marriage Abroad. Instead, the Canadian Government provides a Statement in lieu of a Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage Abroad, with the same requirements.

How a Notary Can Help

Red Seal Notary can help to ensure your paperwork is recognized in the country in which the wedding is taking place. We can help prepare your Marital Status Statutory Declaration to ensure it contains all of the correct information in the destination country. To complete this document, you’ll need photo identification like a Driver’s Licence, Passport, or Permanent Residence Card to present to the Notary or Commissioner of Oaths.

For those who have been previously married, Certified True copies of the divorce decree or death certificate may need to be authenticated before they are accepted in the foreign country. Red Seal Notary can provide this service, saving you time and money in place of a visit to a lawyer’s office, or researching and dealing with all the headaches yourself.

Let a notary save you time and stress by using their experience and expertise to ensure your paperwork is properly prepared for use abroad. Your time and energy is better used to make sure your wedding day is as perfect as you imagined.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Your comment may be subject to editorial review.



Call Now Button